Art Fairs

Dekalb, IL 2007
I’m off to Miami to escape 5 degree Chicago for 80 degree sunshine and countless Art Fair insanity. I have mixed feelings about these things, I look forward to familiar faces, old and new friends, and actually seeing physical art objects. But seeing so much art and discussion of art as commodity only can be overwhelming, depressing even when something so powerful gets reduced to price tags. Luckily the system of this thing may just be made up of enough people who care to balance it all out. If not there’s always the beach 😉

For those of you who are going, find me, say hello, or find my work and see actual prints which will be in a few places with Julie and Quality Pictures showing newer work and Koch and Galerie f5,6 showing big box shopper stuff.

Julie Saul Gallery
Pulse Miami

Quality Pictures
Aqua Hotel (this one is one of my favorite fairs, more relaxed, chill and personable)

Robert Koch Gallery
AIPAD

Galerie f5,6
Photo Miami

For those of you not hanging out in Miami, I’ve added a considerable amount of new work to my website in Thrift and the recent Wright Auction House commission.

1. Posted December 9, 2007 at 8:58 am | Permalink

I saw your work at both 5.6 and at apad. looks good, I will keep an eye out for you for the next couple of days…

2. daniel shea
    Posted December 10, 2007 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

It’s always interesting when an event (such as an art fair or big opening) happens that makes the rounds in the photo blogospere. I just checked 3 blogs, and every single one was about the Miami art fair. Makes me feel just a little bit colder here in Baltimore.

Keep up the good work with the blog.

3. Posted December 12, 2007 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

The first thing I always ask is, how much? To me it helps me understand how the photographer/artist values their art based on what I think the quality is.

4. Posted December 15, 2007 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

It was nice meeting you for a very short time- michael buhler rose, or brahma (which ever you know him as) introduced us, in case you don’t remember. Your prints were impressive to see in person and furthermore a gem amidst the overwhelming amount of work to be seen.

5. Posted December 16, 2007 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Shark,
    Was nice to meet you as well for the short moment. Things are a bit hectic at the fairs and it’s tricky to not want to tune it all out.
    Thanks for the kind words on the prints. I was afraid the work would get lost in the gamut of images so it’s good to hear.

6. steve giovinco
    Posted December 17, 2007 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I too saw your work at 5.6 and loved it. The Fairs are a brutal way to see work, but its a very efficient way to get a grasp on what’s going on around the world (generally speaking). Unless you take notes (as I did to recall your work), the whole affair in mind numbing. I’ve just recovered after a week ago, and am still shifting through my notes.

I was just in a group show in London (with Richard Billingham, and Thomas Joshua Cooper) and witnessed the Frieze fairs. These were much less active, and some were quite bad. Zoo was fantastic, however.

Regards, Steve