Comparing Notes w. Eirik Johnson

Weyerhauser Log Yard, Aberdeen, WA.
Last week I had the pleasure of catching up with Eirik Johnson while he was passing through Chicago. Eirik published the excellent Borderlands in 2005 and made a big move from San Francisco to Boston to take a faculty position at Massachusetts College of Art.
I was pleasantly surprised when Eirik mentioned he found some time to make an entire new body of work and shared the maquette for this new series. I’ve been showing a maquette of my own around and seeing Eirik’s proved that photo books are best in ones hands and not on screeens. Eirik seems to not only have effortlessly redefined what I thought of him as a photographer but also seemlessly carry the concerns of his first book to this one.
Without giving away too much, his photographs of the Pacific Northwest and an industry based on natural resources do not indict or even have a breath of cynicism, they do however acheive a wonderful balance between bringing to light environmental issues while also holding a reverence for his subject matter.
Eirik was nice enough to also send me some jpg’s (which do not at all give justice). If you’re in Boston tackle Eirik and make him show you the real thing.

Roger, Upper Sol Duc River, WA

The Sweater Store, South Bend, WA

Missy with her 600 year-old Spruce Tree, Hoh River, WA

Outside Forks, WA

1. Posted July 19, 2007 at 9:51 am | Permalink

I’ll be back in Boston in fall and would love to see this work. Is Eirik new faculty at MCA — I guess I didn’t meet him when I was taking a class with Hilliard there.

2. Posted July 19, 2007 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Yes he’s at Mass Art as of last Fall I beleive.

3. Posted July 19, 2007 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

thanks for these Brian. do you know what years he did this series? did the time overlap with Borderlands? i was surprised to read that he lived in San Fransisco, i was under the impression that he lived/worked in Seattle.

i’ll be interested to see how his work evolves being in Boston.

thanks again for the images.

4. Posted July 19, 2007 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

I think it’s quite recent, this year.
    Done on a few trips.

5. Posted July 20, 2007 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

a thoughtful eye

6. Posted July 23, 2007 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

Eirik is a true badass photographer. His recent “Animal Holes” series left me smacking my head saying “why didn’t I (and everyone else) think of that?” Beautiful work:

7. Posted July 25, 2007 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks for introducing me to Eirik’s work. And equally as important, thanks for introducing me to the word “maquette.” I didn’t know it and had to look it up.