Hopped Up

Champaign, IL

• Returning from some Minneapolis photographing and hanging with Minneographers, Colleen Mullins, Justin Newhall and Paul Schmelzer.
• Off Wed to Youngstown State University with Justin again to lecture at YSU.
• Thursday to NYC for the Artfairs.
• Rhona Hoffman will have some Thrift pictures at The Art Show, Booth A16, NYC Feb 22-26
• Julie Saul will have some Retail pictures at the Pulse Fair, NYC Feb 22- 25
• On my last trip to NY I met with an SVA class and got to see some good work such as Emily Felger, and Jeffrey Gray Brandsted are just a few.
• Herman Krieger sent me some of his interesting shopping photographs.
Bill Sullivan tipped me to this fantastic place (El-Co) that makes 30×40″ Lambda c-prints for $20 ea. I just got the first few, wish they could print larger than 30×40 paper size but they look fantastic. 2 movie tickets or a 30×40? You decide.
• I can’t stop listening to Lisa Germano.
• I almost could post on Mary Virginia Swanson under ‘My Teachers’ but I never took a class with her. Her knowledge is invaluable to understanding, preparing, and surviving as a photographer. She now has a blog. So she can inform you too.

1. Posted February 22, 2007 at 4:34 am | Permalink

I figure a link would be better. I wrote a little about your Phat Photo article here.

If for some reason they don’t send you as many issues as you might like, let me know and we can work something out.

2. Posted February 22, 2007 at 7:08 am | Permalink

Thanks so much John. Looks fantastic. I would certainly love to do some Japanography sometime soon. I’ll let you know if I don’t get copies.

3. Posted February 22, 2007 at 11:06 pm | Permalink

Brian, do you pronounce your last name the same as an Ulrich in my elementary school? They always said “Ulrick” in growing up but then again in Nebraska the small, czech-settled town of Prague is referred to as “Prayguh”.

Phat Photo has it written in the katakana as “Ullrihhi” which is I am guessing closer to the European (Swedish?) pronunciation.

(?)

4. Posted February 22, 2007 at 11:09 pm | Permalink

Actually- it says “yuurihhi”

Mine in Japanese is “saiparu” instead of “Sigh-pul” so it’s probably ok.

5. Posted February 23, 2007 at 12:40 am | Permalink

words scrawled onto a dirty metal wall, a cheesy somewhat inspirational poster, and a creepy little bear-thing.

strange things happen when you put a rectangle around seemingly unrelated little occurences/symbols.

yes, i have been reading too much weird socio-cultural theory lately…

6. Posted February 23, 2007 at 8:49 am | Permalink

Jon, It is Uhl-rick, though some say Ule-rhicht which is close too.

Ryan, I know all about what you’ve been reading. Fun….

7. Posted February 26, 2007 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Great photo, it’s really interesting what you can find on walls when you’re searching. By the way, thanks for the info on El-Co, I just got some prints back and they’re great, especially for the price.

8. Posted February 27, 2007 at 9:28 am | Permalink

I love that photo, Brian.

9. Posted February 27, 2007 at 9:38 am | Permalink

I’m interested in El-Co labs as well but I don’t understand why you say you wish they printed on paper larger the 30×40. They list 30×48 ($24) and 30×60 ($300 or am I missing something?

10. Posted February 27, 2007 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Gabrielle,
    Yes they do longer print. The max wide is 30″ though and since most print in formats based on medium format or 4×5 that was why I mentioned no larger than 30×40″.

Zoe,
    Thanks!! Excited to see more of your Vegas pics!

11. Posted February 27, 2007 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Got it. Thanks. (and of course the 30×60 size is $30 not $300)