19 vs. 36 Grant Willing

As of 5:43pm eastern time today I turn the ripe old age of 36. Birthdays begin to make me more and more reflective and though so many things are different in my life now though at times it still feels like i’m 19.
At 19 I was leaving Long Island, NY moving to Ohio, riding a BMX bike in contests and learning to play the bass guitar. I had no idea I would be a Chicagrapherâ„¢, teacher or artist.
Grant Willing is 19 and so very ahead of the game. He’s already figured out he’s going to be a photographer which I don’t know from talking to him but do know through looking at his pictures. With nods to the travel photographs of Stephen Shore and Joel Sternfeld, Grant makes subdued and quiet photographs away from the hustle and bustle of urban centers, finding the uncanny in the vernacular. I imagine when Grant is 36 he’ll be hopefully remembering us dear old photographers of yesteryear.
Get and early start on Grant here with his Flickr Site [I’m hooked on Flickr thanks to Jen Beckman] or his
website.

1. Posted January 25, 2007 at 11:44 am | Permalink

Well, I can say that I, too, am a big fan of Mr. Willing.

2. Anonymous
    Posted January 25, 2007 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Happy Birthday, Brian. Some of us think of you–and you’re being ahead of the game–the same way you think of this young artist. Cheers.
    timh

3. Posted January 25, 2007 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Happy birthday, Brian. Thank you for the compliments.

4. Posted January 26, 2007 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Grant is alright. I mean, he’s okay. I mean, I love him.

5. Posted January 26, 2007 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

Grant is a true Renaissance man.

6. Posted February 3, 2007 at 11:57 am | Permalink

there is definitely something good going on with the work of grant. i think that my favorite on his site is the picture of the two portraits side by side in those yellow bedrooms.

and the pic that you posted on your page reminds me of the older sections of south central L.A.

36 vs. 19. it’s all the same, as unique viewpoints are worthwhile (and life-enhancing) no matter what the age of the person who makes them, realizes them, or points a camera at them.

besides, future anthropologists will thank you image producers, i think, when they excavate mounds of external hard drives and compact flash cards in 1000 years in an attempt to understand what 21st culture was really like. hehe. im in a weird mood today.