Madison

Ok, there hasn’t been as many posts lately, esp. about pictures. Well school has started and things are getting busy. Though, I did head out to Madison, WI for a shoot for Wired Mag. last week. Well Greg Stimac came along to help out and we made a day out of exploring and photographing. Madison is terrbily surreal. I’ve never been around so many young polite, and ernestly nice people. Is it the college environment? Prozac in the drinking water? Not sure, but enjoyable nonetheless.
We did run into one slightly unfriendly chap in the form of mall security, who informed us that we are on ‘Orange Alert’, and that we couldn’t carry our cameras into the mall (!).
‘Sir, I understood that there are no laws against photography in this country’
‘Well yes, but with the events in London, and 911….’
‘And what did those events have with photography?’
‘um…’
We had better luck at a thrift store called Savers. After photographing for a while there, we asked if we could take pictures in the backroom and they simply said, ‘sure, go to town’. No lengthy explanations, no suspicion, the NYer in me was baffled but ecstatic.
Here’s a few results, along with some digi pics Greg took of me taking the pictures.

1. Anonymous
    Posted September 22, 2005 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

go brian !!!

2. Anonymous
    Posted September 22, 2005 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

go brian !!!

3. Anonymous
    Posted September 28, 2005 at 12:22 am | Permalink

110%!!!

4. Anonymous
    Posted October 6, 2005 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

hey….i have that shirt….

5. Melissa
    Posted October 12, 2005 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

Hey Brian – it’s Melissa (that quirky Columbia ex-pat/gallerina/big ‘ol fan of your work)….

I have a good friend in Madison and I love me some Savers. The thrift stores in Madison are truly outstanding.

Keep up the great work…

6. Posted October 14, 2005 at 9:30 am | Permalink

bothering you again. I have hardly get away with shooting in the mall. I really only shoot digital now (again, i’m curious how you color balance your film) I used to have luck with Fuji Reala because it had some magenta layer that help with flourescent. How the hell do you shoot candid under cloth with tripod? Again your work is fab.

7. Posted October 14, 2005 at 9:33 am | Permalink

BTW, do you know a Chris Schneberger in Chicago? My wife went to school with him. He teaches photo somewhere there.
    I helped open the Johnny Rockets on N. Rush when I was 19 – Pretty damn dorky huh?

8. Posted October 18, 2005 at 11:25 am | Permalink

Yes I know Chris well. great guy. His website.

I rarely use the dropcloth on the 4×5, esp. when I’m just going ‘stealth’ into the stores. The linhof has a nice little flip up hood that blocks out some light, and I bought a Beattie bright screen, ground glass which also helps.